Thursday, March 11, 2010

Couch to 5K

I am currently following the C25K program. I just finished up week 4 last night, and I think things are going pretty well. I have always hated running, but I am trying to lose some weight and I needed to face the fact that running is the ideal form of cardio exercise and just get over myself. Surprisingly, I am actually kind of enjoying my nightly jaunts on the greenbelt and treadmill. I can run for longer than I probably ever have been able to without stopping and I feel great. Maybe there's actually something to this whole "running" thing!

I have this theory that my hatred for running comes from years and years of playing sports and having running as punishment. Anytime our basketball team played crappy, we had to run ladders or what seemed like hundreds of laps. I think I automatically associate running with punishment and just never gave it a chance.

My goal is to run the Great Harvest Health and Fitness 5K on the Greenbelt in May. I should be done with C25K mid-April, but that will give me a few weeks to practice a little more so I don't look like a fool in public. I even have 2 dear friends (Jessi and Rachel) who have offered to run it with me!

I noticed there is a "bridge" program for C25K graduates to work up to a 10K. I can't imagine myself running 6.2 miles, but who knows!? I have to have some kind of a goal after I finish up C25K. Baby steps, baby steps...

2 comments:

  1. Kristin!! I love your blog! Fabulous job & keep it up!
    I LOVE the blogging world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since when do you have a blog? CHELLO, I see you everyday and you never mention that you started one?! YAY!

    ReplyDelete